twitter google

What Happens If Your Dog Consumes Halloween Candy?

Jaclyn Hughes

If you aren’t yet aware of the dangers that candy can bring upon your furry friends, it’s definitely a topic to consider as candy can sadly, can be fatal for some dogs. Dogs are going to be dogs and get into food that they aren’t supposed to, even if you put it in places that you think will be safe keeping. While the first reaction upon finding out that your dog has eaten candy may be to clean up the mess and tell him “no!”, you definitely need to evaluate the situation before cleaning up.

The folks at Dogtime have some great tips on the matter…The first step to ensuring that your pup is safe after candy consumption is to try to survey the evidence. Are there tons of wrappers or candy pieces missing? What kind of candy did the dog eat? Is your dog showing symptoms of feeling sick? All of these things need to be taken into consideration, and the most crucial is getting them to the vet immediately if they just seem ill and not as energetic. It isn’t just chocolates that can pose a massive threat either, as anything that is high in fat or sugar often leads to the dangerous condition of pancreatitis, which can often be quickly fatal for dogs. Pancreatitis is unbelievably painful, so if you adore your dogs, please steer clear of giving them any foods that can contribute to this condition.

Things to look for:

  • The dog appears to be in pain, specifically abdominal pain
  • Fever
  • Vomiting
  • No appetite
  • Lethargic

Tips to avoid future incidents:

  • Always keep foods that are not safe for your pups up high in a pantry or cabinet
  • If you have little ones that are always trying to feed the dog, just have a conversation with them about how giving the pup food that isn’t for dogs can seriously hurt their furry friends.

Halloween should be a fun day to celebrate with the whole family, and having a sick dog is never fun, so when in doubt, always take them to a vet for examining to be safe.

Follow RM Healthy


New Articles